[BITList] From another Forum...

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 6 17:29:14 BST 2016

John,

As a young lance-corporal (aged 21 - he joined at 17 in1925 and said he was
25), my
father while with the Argylls in Jamaica in 1929 got 5 years for mutiny with
2 mutinous friends. From what I can make out at this stage in my
research, it was over some such bull as your correspondent described. After
a campaign by newspapers worldwide, the British Communist Party, and
questions in Parliament, they were released after 2 years and 2 months.
Within less than a year, he and my mother had met and got married.

A small note.  He was promoted to Lance Corporal (unpaid) in 1926. Keeping
up the family tradition of being unpaid, in 1957, partway into my second
trip on Chakdara and barely 9 months in the company, I was promoted from
"senior junior" to "junior senior" by Scientific Sid Hammond, CE/O to fill a
sudden vacancy. "Do I get paid for it?" I asked.  "Do you hell," he replied.
So I was in charge of a watch till we got to Bombay.