[BITList] Firms to publish details of "foreigners" who work for them

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 6 20:37:01 BST 2016

I've just had a request to sign a petition against the proposal in the  subject, and I'll sign it as soon as my computer stops acting the fool.

In 1965 I, and a dozen or so others from the West of Scotland and the North West and East of England, all of us marine engineering draughtsmen, were recruited by a Danish shipyard. The firm could not service their order book with the Danish staff they had. We were accorded professional status, and we were paid more than some of our Danish colleagues, foreigners all of us.  And immigrants, since we all settled down, brought out our families, and paid income tax. The Odense yard did not publish details of us.

I recall one incident only.  One of our number from south of the border - his English colleagues were forever at pains to apologise for him - engaged Henning Klindt Jensen, an urbane chap who worked just along from me, in a conversation. He was prone to try to educate the Danes and bring them up to scratch with their place in the scheme of things. Apropos I know not what, their conversation ended up on the subject of foreigners.  Said he to HK Jensen, by way of illustration, pointing to make it clearer, "Me English - you foreigner."  Henning near bit off the end of his pipe.  In a conversation just after, he said to me, "That &%$£$&(^ talks to me as if I'm a Red Indian."