[BITList] HOTEL SCAM

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 4 16:37:34 GMT 2013

Frank,

I use a debit card,  and the only function I've ever encountered where that isn't readily accepted is booking flights online. That's no problem - there are plenty in the family with credit cards, and they accept cash eagerly from us.  I cut up my last valid credit card aeons ago and have felt the benefit ever since. I did apply for one just over a year ago to get over a temporary need for a flight to somewhere. My bank looked into my past, present and future before telling my my credit rating was such that the answer was "no". Having no debts, and not having had any since I borrowed a few quid from them a good many years ago and paid it back timeously, I inquired of the credit agency the bank used, but found one needs a credit card to talk to them.  By other means I learned the problem lies in my lack of a credit rating. Shortly thereafter, along came an envelope of unsolicited bumf from the bank with a special, not to be ignored, offer of a credit card to anyone. My need for one had gone, but I filled in the form and in due course I got a shiny credit card, and nobody asked me about a credit rating.  Eventually they took umbrage at sending me bills for £0-0-0 and required me to use the card or cut it up. I did neither. It is an ex-credit card.