[BITList] aprons and home economics

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 19 21:01:19 GMT 2013

Colin,

The building was put up in the 1840s, and I think the toilets were added later. The original may have had them outside, though there was damn all room outside once you take away the washhouse and the bins.  It was demolished in the 1960s. My gran lived just along the road and she had electric light, an inside toilet and a scullery. The yard managers, etc, lived just up the Glen brae in nice villas on Lilybank, while the owners had bigger houses not faraway. However, in 1871, Henry Murray, who employed over 200 at that time in his shipyard, lived about 100 yards west of my gran in a 2 room house that wasn't quite as posh as my gran's. He moved later to a mansion not long vacated by a merchant.  And William Lithgow, just starting up his shipyard business, lived on Chapel Lane here, a short street of little charm. He was a neighbour of my great grandfather, a riveter. It was an egalitarian place.

I don't recall ever feeling deprived. I've fond memories of the gas light and the coal fire.  When the youngest were tucked up in bed, my mother would turn off the light and we'd sit round the kitchen fire. My father was away, 1940-1945, so she cheered us up via her repertoire of sad songs - After The Ball Was Over, Suvla Bay, and others. I remember one about a fair-haired boy in a foreign land, who was to die next day (firing squad). The pardon came, but was too late.  The only problem with the toilet was its position down a dark stair, especially if we'd been telling ghost stories.  Great aunt Maggie had a grocers shop 50 yards away, so we never lacked fruit, and we had two fish and chip shops nearby, plus umpteen other outlets.  200 yards down Russell Street, between Lithgows Kingston Yard and the Glen Mill, was the Davie Shore where we fished. The shoreward end of Russell Street was a hard pan football pitch, at least in size, so we had our sports there. 200 yards up the Glen brae and through the arch led to the steep gully of the Glen Burn with limitless walks and adventures through woods.

Now I'll have a look at the site you sent.