[BITList] aprons and home economics

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Sat Jan 19 20:08:05 GMT 2013

Hugh,

aprons ok, wood burning stoves n chickens no; clearly the article was written for US consumption.
I don’t recall seeing house wives going to the shops in their aprons and never saw a shawl, head scarf only if it was cold or raining.
on the 4th floor with 5 families and 2 toilets per landing is unimaginable...............with gas lighting! sounds like the 19th century not the 20th.
are the buildings still there?
I guess everyone knew their neighbours intimately.

Incidentally, I sometimes watch a tv program, “house hunters international”, a 30 year old guy from san diego, ca. decided to go to glasgow university and was searching for a suitable flat not too far from the university. his budget was $1200/month, I was surprised what a pleasant and comfortable place he could find in glasgow for that amount.
I was also surprised how pleasant and ‘cosmopolitan’ glasgow appeared [I’ve never having been]. The program returned to see how he was going on after he had been living there some months – he absolutely loved it, couldn’t get enough of it.
high praise from some one who was used to the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows of california.

 http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Lollipops-And-Rainbows/dp/B0013SHUCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358625825&sr=8-1&keywords=sunshine,%20lollipops%20and%20rainbows&tag=vglnk-c679-20

ct