[BITList] home economics

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 19 16:17:57 GMT 2013

Colin,

I remember the aprons, but not the wood burning stove and the chickens, etc. We were top flat (4 up), 5 families per landing, two toilets per landing (no, I don't know which toilet the odd ones out used), gas lighting and cooking, coal fires. But the women all wore aprons, and often a shawl and a head scarf when out shopping, since all the shops were within walking distance. I don't recall my tears ever being wiped by mother's apron - "be quiet or you'll get another one" was the closest she ever came to that, and her best pal, Jeanie, was just as sympathetic to us. But we survived.