[BITList] Datsun

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Wed Mar 21 03:08:18 GMT 2012

Nice car, Frank,

was yours like my 280 ZX Turbo – herewith, bought new here in 1982, engine produced 180 bhp.......................................

You may be right in that your 260z would leave things like the Porsche 911 standing, it depends upon which Porsche model and year you are referring to.....
However, the 260zx produced only 160bhp and even with webbers carbs the power would not be massively increased.
The only cars in 1982 to beat the Turbo ZX was the Porsche 911SC and the BMW M1, which were considered by most to be exotic cars. This info can be referenced in the R&T Guide to Sports & GT Cars 1982.

The 1982 280zx Turbo had a straight 6 cylinder 2.8 liter engine [and very smooth it was too] producing 180 hp as noted.
The 1982 Porsche 911SC had a 6 cylinder 3.0 liter boxer engine producing 204 hp unblown.
The 1982 Porsche Turbo had the same boxer engine but with turbo charging it produced 300 hp. and would leave the 280zxT for dead – of course it was >3x the price.....
‘Nuff said.

Incidentally my 280 cost $20,000, I priced the 911SC at the same time, the cost was $34,000 and the turbo approaching $60k.
Big difference then and still a big difference now; the same cars are selling here for $2-3000 and $15-23000 respectively – don’t know about the turbo.....................
a friend of mine has a couple of 911SC – very fine cars in lovely condition, here we are on a very hot summer day in the middle of Texas. [left photo].

       ct