[BITList] DURBAN, South Africa THEN AND NOW

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Feb 12 04:26:03 GMT 2012

G'day Hugh,

> I don't recognise any of it, though I've kind of been to Durban. My first trip with BI was on Chakdara, round the Cape via Capetown to India, the Suez Canal being under new management in early 1957.  I woke up one morning and went on deck, and there was Durban receding.  We'd been in and left while I was legitimately asleep.

My one and only visit to Durban took place in 1954 on the 'Itaura'  we were coming from Mauritius on route to the West Indies.

We came in at near right angles to the coast at dawn with the sun coming up over the horizon from the stern of the vessel. I have always said that it was one of the best sights that I have ever seen.

At that time most of the tall buildings, it seemed, were coloured a light blue and the suns's rays made the buildings shine.

The harbour, to me, is one of the most beautiful in the world.