[BITList] Guns and tinsel: Christmas 1940

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 27 23:08:43 GMT 2012

Fred,

When Janet and daughter Susan were over in the US a couple of years ago, visiting my sister Margaret in Tucson, Az, they were amazed to read in Margaret's grandson's school history book that the US won WW2 "with the help of Britain". Nice of us Brits to help, wasn't it? Just our natural politeness. Our granddaughter is at Maastricht University in the Netherlands  studying psychology, as part of the student exchange programme (currently home here for Christmas), and she made friends there with an American girl who is utterly amazed at Europe, never having been told anything about it before she arrived - not a sausage.  One day some years back, when our niece was over from Tucson, the 4th of July was nigh.  She noted the lack of preparations for any kind of party - no turkey, etc.  "Why don't you guys celebrate Independence Day?" she asked.  She's not dumb, which made it odder.

It's 11.00pm and time we were in our kip. There's nothing to get up early for - the concert in Glasgow is not till 3.00 - but I'm nackered doing nothing all day with only the odd glass of something. I found a stash of Guinness in a kitchen cupboard, so I bought a large bottle of decent cider - and I shall experiment with proportions and try to recreate the mix Tommy Walker, 3E/O, and I created (after much research) on Chakdara. Wish me luck.