[BITList] gosport

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Tue May 17 01:31:58 BST 2011

Colin
When I was doing my time in H.M Dockyard Portsmouth I'm sure the special
boat squadron used to operate out of sultan it was all very hush hush
and I don't remember anyone ever going in there from the civilian side
but I suppose some must of. We fixed the MTB,s in the dockyard only one
that I can remember though was one called the grey goose which held
alsorts of records and was being used as an experimental bed towards the
end of her life, thing that sticks in my mind mostly though was the
amount of bonding that took place on these boats to try keep the static
electricity down which built up due to the high frequency vibrations in
the hull as they moved though the water at high speed, in those days
sultan used to be on the Portsmouth side of the water suppose they moved
it over to where Dolphin ( the old submarine base)was when they moved
the subs to Scotland,
frank