[BITList] more on books

s14engine s14engine at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 19:15:31 BST 2010

hugh,

yes you do know some one who reads ebooks......................................................me!
I received my Kindle 3 [there are 2 earlier versions] a couple of weeks ago. This link has info on the Kindle.................http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reading-Display-Graphite-Globally/dp/B002FQJT3Q
They are now selling more electronic books than conventional paper ones. Newspapers, magazines and periodicals are also available and are delivered wirelessly to the Kindle [as are all e-books].
Some 3500 can be stored on the Kindle and/or they are archived at Amazon, so books once downloaded/bought are unlikely to be lost. Amazon has >400,000 titles available with more available daily.
Books copyrighted in the US before 1923 are now in the public domain; their copyrights have expired and it is legal to copy such works, so they can be downloaded free from Amazon in e-book form.
For example - the complete works of Charles Dickens [51 books] is $2.99. The works of Thomas Hardy [14] is $1.99. etc.
Later books vary in price but are generally cheaper than the printed editions.
you kindly suggested books I might like for my K3. So far I have read 3 books and downloaded 7 - all of them were $0.00.
I have found no negative with the K3.
I still have conventional paper books and read them also, there is plenty of room for both.
in fact I have just finished a book I can highly recommend, "Cyber War" by Richard A Clarke. It's about the threat to our systems and all of us from cyber [internet] criminals - be they private or governmental. entire countries [georgia, estonia] have been crippled by cyber attacks from russia - without a shot being fired.
additionally, cyber warfare levels the playing field between rich and poor countries - north korea v the rest.

which reminds me, I haven't thrown a book party lately.................................[have I mentioned that before?]

ct