[BITList] The Fallen Status of Books

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 13 17:25:30 BST 2010

John,

The death of books. I don't know anybody who reads e-books, nor do I know
what a book party is.  I have been at one book launch kind of thing - stand
around in the author's home with a drink and chat to the Glasgow literati,
but a party it wasn't - too serious for that.  And not that long ago I was
at a book launch as one of half a dozen of its co-authors - stand around
with a drink and try to find out what's happening. Looking stuff up on
Google is superficially attractive, but there comes no provenance with the
alleged facts.  I was taught to examine the credentials of the writer,  but
that is not possible via Google.  Books are a long way from dead.