[BITList] Fwd: P&O Cruise Ship

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 10 22:32:50 BST 2010

Frank,

A windy period, 1959/60.  In late October, 1959, we were stormbound in Workington, finally leaving on the 29th for Bone when it eased enough to let us out.  I read my mail in a bar in Bone (no beer on the ship, just rum - I was given a bottle a week to dish out to few takers).  A wee slip of paper (I've still got it) fell out of a letter from my mother.  The death notice of my great pal, Joe Blair.  He'd been lost at sea en-route for Montreal on MV Wavecrest, our sister ship, on the 23rd, while we were in Workington.  He left the ER for dinner and didn't arrive.  The only fact I ever knew about blast injection I learned from Joe one day in a casual conversation when both of us were on leave - he'd sailed on a Royal Mail ship with that feature.  When I sat my 2nd's orals the examiner asked me a question about blast injection, and my answer exhausted my knowledge of the subject, did he but know.  But he moved on to other things.