[BITList] ALZHEIMER COLOR TEST

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 1 14:57:20 GMT 2010

John,

A few months back, Janet and I were at a funeral here.  We got a lift to the place wherein the after funeral tea was being held and, while walking through the car park, a woman who had been at the funeral got into conversation with me.  This utterly surprised me - it was not that I had got into conversation with a woman, just with that woman.  She had been in my class all through high school, and we'd never exchanged a word at that time or until our chance meeting in the car park.  Also by chance, she and her husband sat opposite us at the tea (we don't call it a tea - we don't call it anything - I have to call it something here).  She was full of anecdotes about my school life.  One of these was that my hand was always up first (up in the air, that is) when a question was asked.  I don't recall that having been the case at all, my high school class positions were 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 2nd, 8th, 7th, 5th, and 5th - my fame must have grown over the years.  Often, when asked a question, I was gazing up the hill at the trees, and the odd train passing, but even in a dwam I could still hear the question, possibly subliminally.  Very often the teacher was so impressed by my having "heard" the question, against all the odds, that he/she didn't bother with the answer.  As for working out logarithms in my head. I'd have seen little point in that, since I had a book of log tables.  I can find no way of computing a logarithm of an arbitrary number, even on paper, that might fit your pupil's excuse.  Logarithms were comprehensively tabulated using brute force and ingenuity by Napier, Briggs and others from the 1600s onwards.  If he was trying to work out a sine or a cosine, that would be OK, since the sine series is relatively easy.