[BITList] Fwd: The Fifties

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 11 15:31:18 GMT 2010

John,

Ceylon Radio - Binaca Hit Parade ?  They don't ring a bell with me. Does a
tale hang thereby?

Colin,

Blue Ribands are still made, in fact I've one by me as I write.  Made by
Nestle, 99 calories.  But Nestle were taken over by Cadbury who have now
been taken over by Kraft, who are no doubt a division of BP or of NASA.  And
Penguins are still made and eaten in large numbers.

The Grey Place Cafe (on Grey Place, hence the name) sold hot orange juice,
as in "Gi'es a hot orange an' a Blue Riband, hen."  Most sustaining.  None
of us drank at that stage.

The Gent's opposite the above had a flat sloping roof and was pretty bleak
looking in the rain.  Gazing over at it made a change from gazing over at
Ellen O'Donnell behind the counter.  She was as responsive as the Gents.  We
were studiously against anything that smelled of trendiness, so we dressed
any way but in fashion and insisted on listening to stuff from the jukebox
that only such as we could like.  So we didn't impress Ellen.  We grew up
not long after, but by then she had moved on.