[BITList] Fwd: The Fifties

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 03:35:45 GMT 2010

G'day hugh,

On 11/02/2010, at 11:31 PM, HUGH wrote:

<< Ceylon Radio - Binaca Hit Parade ?  They don't ring a bell with me.
Does a
tale hang thereby? >>

On reflection it was Radio Ceylon, a commercial station broadcasting
on shortwave in English.

While in school in Kurseong, West Bengal we used to listen to it.

The radio was presented by someone for the boys to listen to. It was
placed in the School Hall and to stop us listening to it when we
shouldn't it was fitted with a wooden box with holes in it for
ventilation. There was a large hinged front.

Late on Sunday evenings when we didn't have homework (held in the
hall), he seniors would troop downstairs from the dorms and having
already 'fixed it' withdraw the hinge pins and so get access to the
radio.

We would listen to the Binaca Hit Parade. Binaca was the sponser -
toothpaste sold around India.

I do recall listening to the Cricket Tests and the Cambridge and
Oxford boat race from the BBC, probably during 'legal' listening times!

There was a myth that if Cambridge won then the questions in the
Senior Cambridge Final Exams all the questions would be easy!