[BITList] joke!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 7 17:39:27 GMT 2010

Colin,

What is a joke nowadays when seen in the context of politics (US politics since that's what we're talking about?  For a couple of years I've been corresponding with a lady in Chicago, mostly on family history, since we seem to be distantly related on my mother's side.  Now and then politics drifts into view, and I use a light touch with as much evasion as I think proper.  She seemed to be like my wife, distrusting all politicians, regardless of stance.  She seemed an intelligent woman. The other day I got a "joke" from her about clocks in heaven, one for everyone on earth.  The hands of these clocks whirl round once for every lie the "owner" has told.  Apparently Obama's is used as a fan. I dealt with that concept in my usual way, saying commentators over here reckon the incumbent is shaped by the presidency and not the other way around, hence there are constraints on what promises may be kept - it's politics.  I got a full page back in capital letters with the whole "Obama is a Muslim" story embedded in a tirade of right wing sludge.  Thank Christ I didn't say she was wrong.  So endeth a correspondence.  Janet is off to Tucson, Az. in April - I've told her not to discuss politics with anyone.