[BITList] English cricket bat industry under threat after EU directive bans export of willow - Telegraph

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Apr 18 06:43:12 BST 2010

G'day Hugh,

On 18/04/2010, at 4:10 AM, HUGH wrote:

> I reckon the English cricket bat industry stopped being that the day they handed it over to India.

You are aware that I did all of my 'high school' in India, near where the tea comes from!

It was a boarding school where games were played according to the seasons.

We had a local man who looked after all of our sports equipment and the sports fields themselves.

At the start of the cricket season all the bats (imported from England) were ready for play having been scraped down with a one sided razor-blade and then liberally coated with linseed oil.

The man had been there for donkeys years. Indeed since he was a 'chokra'.

He was known to one and all as "Cricket".

Read on at this web page from the Centenary Magazine.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/magazines/vs_centenary/(30).html