[BITList] Another kind of life on the ocean wave

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 20 22:28:58 BST 2009

I bought a magazine in the street the other day.  There is a long article about a converted car ferry that sails around the oceans with 300 crew (!!) and a mission which they say is "to tell the people about Jesus."  Though my niece is a medical missionary in a Muslim village in India, I have mixed feelings about such pursuits, however, I leave it to them. If they're happy, why should I worry. But where the boat is concerned I do worry.  They have an executive chef, and he says, "Most of the crew are in their early twenties and don't have much work experience.  I teach some of them how to cook, they learn well, they become attractive to other departments on board and they go to learn a new job.  Then I have to start again, training new people.  But it's a good system."  Another chap is the first engineer, a rank I only ever encountered once in the MN - a chief sailing in the 2nd's role as an obligement (I replaced him).  In his photo he has three bars on his epaulettes.  Of himself he says, "I've been on board for two years and I work as the first engineer.  When I joined the crew I didn't have much time to learn from my colleagues, so it felt as if I'd jumped in at the deep end.  I found myself starting all these engines on my own and hoping I was doing it right.  What I enjoy most is leading teams of people and seeing what skills and qualities they can bring to particular roles. But my work also comes with challenges. I've had to learn that Filipino engineering is different from German engineering."

I hope I've got the wrong end of the stick here.  One doesn't fancy the cooking any longer, so has a wee go at navigating? One seems the sort of chap who would overhaul an exhaust valve expressively, bringing a special quality to it - so have a go when one is finished with that stew?

My mind boggles.