[BITList] What's in your garden shed

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 02:17:41 GMT 2009

G'day David,

On 25/01/2009, at 11:52 AM, David Harvey wrote:

 > I wrote my first letter to the Sydney Morning Herald at age 15, how
about you?

Mine would have been around 1986 to The Townsville Bulletin. But I
stopped around 2003 when the Editor's 'dragon' told me on the phone
that my letter was not 'understandable'. I got written proof from the
Head of Department of English from three local High Schools that my
writing was 'understandable' - she didn't publish so I stopped wriiting

 > And what's wrong with plane, as long as it is spelt 'plane, being
the shortened form of aeroplane, whereas
 > a craft is a water borne means of transport. I always use the word
'plane, never aircraft, next you'll be
 > wanting me to spell Mum as Mom.

You weren't serving in the RAF, where it was drilled into us that the
RAF had aircraft and not planes - just as you would have been drilled
that it wasn't the ceiling but the deck-head?

Are you saying that the word aircraft is incorrect usage? An aircraft
is a vehicle which is able to fly through the air (or the atmosphere
of a planet). Objects which are not supported by the air, such as most
rockets and missiles, are not aircraft.

And, Mike and I called our mother 'Mam' as did every other child in
Colne, Lancs. :-)

Might I suggest some light reading for you?

Try Julian Burnside's - "Word Watching" - from any Angus & Robertson
or Dymocks.

Mike bought it for me before he left.

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.