[BITList] What's in your garden shed

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 25 01:52:46 GMT 2009

I gave up writing to newspapers years ago. The last fight I had with them was about the flying the national flag upside down was a signal of distress. They claimed I was wrong and persisted, quoting the publication issued by the flag waving department wherein it said that it was a signal of distress. Checking he was correct in this. So I eventually cornered a minister of the govmint at some function and finally the publication was corrected.

I wrote my first letter to the Sydney Morning Herald at age 15, how about you?

Spitfires, Hurricanes etc. were simply called fighters but if the were Messerschmitts they were called enemy fighters or perhaps there were also other names I wouldn't know,at that time there was no need to distinguish between the two, jets and props. And yes, I have had the boat argument, on the radio. And what's wrong with plane, as long as it is spelt 'plane, being the shortened form of aeroplane, whereas a craft is a water borne means of transport. I always use the word 'plane, never aircraft, next you'll be wanting me to spell Mum as Mom.

Cheers,

Dave