[BITList] Keep women out of engineering

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 21 16:02:18 GMT 2009

John,

That story wasn't about me.  My boxes of springs and things are too many and
too securely stashed away for Janet even to think of consulting them for
such a purpose.  She has been known to find a screw to hammer into a wall,
but not often.  The banging usually gives the game away - one time it didn't
was when she, for some reason that has never been properly explained, was
hammering a nail or a screw into the bathroom wall and dropped the hammer,
causing a dent/hole to appear in the bath.  I found the dent/hole when I was
preparing to run water for a bath, and that ablution had to wait till the
fibreglass repair set hard and was painted.  We don't have a lot of trouble
with appliances - I won't go into the strange case of the TV that will go in
one room but not in another.  The exploding vacuum cleaner was a one off,
usually what ails them is the wrong fuse, a full bag, a slipping or broken
belt, or a strange object picked up.