[BITList] Keep women out of engineering

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:38:27 GMT 2009

G'day Hugh,

On 21/01/2009, at 9:46 PM, HUGH wrote:

<< Apropos the subject header, this morning I was helping with the
hoovering and, finding the machine was not doing too well at its job,
I checked it and found the bag (in this case a cylinder) chockfull and
all the filters clogged. So I set about emptying and cleaning.  This
done, I plugged it in again and switched it on, and the motor blew up
with a bang and a cloud of acrid smoke.  Janet was on the phone, so
heard and smelled nothing.  On hearing about the matter a few minutes
later, she diagnosed the problem immediately - I must have done
something to it. I cut the lead off it (we've got another machine) and
refrained from commenting on her diagnosis.  Is this a common
experience? >>

I recall reading in Reader Digest many years ago now, of the man who
was the bane of his wife and her problems with household machinery.

Every time anything broke down (smoke?) she would tell her husband
that it had had it and that she required him to buy her a new one.

He would always say that he would have a look at it and would always
get the thing going again - for a time it seemed to his wife.

One day her vacuum cleaner broke down again, and again she asked her
husband for a new one. "I'll have a go at fixing it," he replied.

A few days went by and when her husband was out of the house she
wandered down to his shed. She looked around for jars of screws and
springs an various other bits and pieces. She then wandered back to
the house to the place where all the bits from her vacuum cleaner were
lying about waiting to be repaired. She scattered, at random, the bits
and pieces that she had garnered, amongst all the bits lying around.

A bit later her husband came in and said, get your coat on Love, that
vacuum cleaner of your has finally given up the ghost, we'll have to
buy you a new one.

This story wasn't about you Hugh was it?

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.