[BITList] Keep women out of engineering

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 21 11:46:21 GMT 2009

Gentlemen,

Apropos the subject header, this morning I was helping with the hoovering and, finding the machine was not doing too well at its job, I checked it and found the bag (in this case a cylinder) chockfull and all the filters clogged. So I set about emptying and cleaning.  This done, I plugged it in again and switched it on, and the motor blew up with a bang and a cloud of acrid smoke.  Janet was on the phone, so heard and smelled nothing.  On hearing about the matter a few minutes later, she diagnosed the problem immediately - I must have done something to it. I cut the lead off it (we've got another machine) and refrained from commenting on her diagnosis.  Is this a common experience?