[BITList] 17th-century chairman of East India Company was a murderer

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 1 18:13:55 GMT 2009

John,

I like the bit where Michie "decided to research his family tree" - he did any of it himself, I don't think. These programmes are great TV, but they give not a single clue about what it really takes to research a family history.  Sitting on ones bum beside a computer screen mostly plays little part in it, nor does calling at a repository and having a helpful lady offer just the right documents.  Problems are never solved by researchers found and paid for by the BBC.  Still, as I said, great TV.