[BITList] 17th-century chairman of East India Company was a murderer

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 11:59:12 GMT 2009

Forwarded to me....

Snipped from
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland/Family-tree-craze-spreads-its.4934364.jp

Family tree craze spreads its roots

WHO do we think we are? Interest in tracing our ancestors has reached
such a peak in Scotland that a new research centre is full and councils
are being urged to set up their own family tree facilities.

Widespread interest in genealogy has been fuelled by a hit BBC TV
series Who Do You Think You Are?, which has helped celebrities
such as presenter Jeremy Paxman and comedian Graham Norton
trace their family roots.

One Scot who recently decided to research his family tree is Taggart
actor John Michie, who plays DI Robbie Ross in the popular TV crime
series.

Links to a 17th-century murderer and the chairman of the pioneering
East India Company, the trading firm which helped establish the British
Empire, were confirmed.

Michie said: "I am linked to a 17th-century McDonald of Keppoch who
had to flee after a murder in the 17th century. He killed his brother in
a dispute over land. "His nickname was Michie and he went to Strathdon
in north-east Scotland. The Michies spread from there to Aberdeen
and eventually got as far as Fife where my grandfather was born."

"The Michies appear to have been a bunch of cattle thieves and illicit
whisky distillers. But in the 18th century they reached some
respectability
when John Michie became chairman of the East India company, a
considerable achievement for a sheep farmer."

Michie's father was a banker with overseas postings in Burma, where
his son was born, and Kenya. The family returned to Scotland and
Edinburgh when Michie was 13.

"It's been fascinating to go back in time and find out about these
guys,"
he said. "I have been led to believe I may have a claim on the clan
chiefdom but I have no intention of following this through. Apart from
the fact that it would be very expensive, I am sure the current clan
chief would look very dimly on an upstart actor from Taggart trying
to usurp him."

The programme will be broadcast tomorrow, BBC1, 9pm.

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.