[BITList] More on the Nevassa

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:30:02 GMT 2009

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: cry.gif
Type: image/gif
-------------- next part --------------
Anybody out there with bad (or good!) memories of troopships? I was "lucky" enough to embark on the last voyage of HMT Nevasa out of Southampton bound for Aden during September 1962 via Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus and the Suez Canal. It was an Army administered ship and they had their own peculiar ideas of discipline which were entirely alien to us. I was a Junior Tech at the time sporting the old single upside down stripe so the ship's RSM decided that I was a JNCO and put me in charge of a working party despite my protestations about having to accept the unwanted and unexpected responsibility suddenly thrust upon me - my mates weren't all that impressed either!  I tried complaining to the RAF Warrant Officer but he just muttered something about it being nothing to do with him and left me at the mercy of the Army. It was no cruise ship - 138 men to a troopdeck and half a dozen punkah louvres for ventilation until some of us picked up our bedding and slept under the stars! I have no idea what happened to Nevasa but if it was the knacker's yard it wasn't before time.  The highlight of the cruise was beating the Army in a shooting competition off the back of the ship.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.