[BITList] Christmas fare

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 14 09:11:06 GMT 2009

Hoping to inject some festive spirit into the runup to Christmas I dug out a pile of audio and video tapes, CDs and DVDs - anything that looked the part.  Yesterday we watched It's A Wonderful Life (1946).  Later, I was reading a magazine that came with the Sunday paper, and from it I learned that the film was investigated by the FBI when first released - it didn't say at whose instigation.  They classed it as communist propaganda, citing what they saw as its attitude to banks and bankers.  It's interesting how things get skewed. What they saw as pinko commie stuff is now the other way about.  What old George Bailey was doing in the film while hampered by a nasty capitalist, was creating toxic mortgages, these now being seen as the product of extreme greed and capitalism.