[BITList] Juries

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 6 10:07:01 GMT 2009

David, Colin,

My comments were ambiguously worded.  I was deriding the BBC numpty and his "British juries", a species that exists only in his head.  In the UK there are three separate jurisdictions, Northern Ireland, Scotland and England/Wales, each with its own distinct jury set up.  The Italian system for serious crimes, on which he was commenting, uses 2 judges and a "jury" of 6 laymen chosen at random.  Scotland has 15 on a jury for a criminal trial, not 12 (in this I except the Mickey Mouse "Scottish" trial of al Megrahi at the Hague). All other UK juries, excepting some for terrorism in NI, have 12, but there is little common ground in the rules governing the juries.