[BITList] Murder on the high seas-2

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 11 21:54:19 BST 2009

On TV this evening there was an "investigation" into the sinking of the Mary Rose by various experts, so described.  One was a "ship scientist" - while he sounded as if he knew what he was talking about, I worried all through about what a ship scientist is.  Basically, she heeled over and sank under the weight and distribution of everything the experts could find to suggest, and there was a very nice 1/30 model to prove it.  I daresay they got it right, but I waited in vain for anything to tell me how informed the Tudors were about ship stability, or was it all trial and error based on what hadn't sunk?  Applying modern science, the experts mentioned centre of gravity, and weight (as affecting draught), and that was about it.  Hardly the stuff to keep a vessel upright.