[BITList] Murder on the high seas

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 11 21:22:25 BST 2009

>From today's Herald "Archives" feature, 150 Years Ago (so 1859) ....

At the South Lanarkshire Crown Court, the second engineer of the steamship Bogota, belonging to the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, was indicted for the murder of a stoker, on January 25 last, on the high seas.  The means of death charged were confining the deceased in a place in the ship called the stoke hole (sic) where heat is excessive.

I'll check the Herald files in the Mitchell Library for a fuller account and, hopefully, the trial.  My great great uncle, who for years sat on the family tree as an apprentice saddler aged 14 (1871 census, then vanished), turned out recently to have gone on to be a marine engineer, almost certainly with that company, settling in Chile where his descendants have prospered.