[BITList] more n more purnea

realm33 at msn.com realm33 at msn.com
Fri Oct 24 13:37:50 BST 2008

tom,

in your reply concerning purnea and 3eo john beech, you asked me how I knew him....................

I worked with "kingukongu" (KingKong) as our japanese staff refered to him behind his back, when we were both staff surveyors for the salvage association in kobe, japan. I had already been there 6 years when this gorilla-like character turned up. if the SA had set out to find a staff member who was the exact opposite to someone who would fit well into the japanese scene, they were outstandingly succesful. He had such a strong accent and a way of muttering that even I found hard to understand (don't get me started on his sqeeky tittering - difficult to imagine, I know)- let alone the natives. naturally he didn't speak a word of japanese. a crowbar was required to get him out of the office working; statistically I averaged 65 surveys a year, the first year he was there he did 6 or 8. although his output did increase, and in the fourth year it had gone up by 50% to 12. the SA didn't complain, he did more harm outside the office than in. he was a bloody awful golfer to boot..............

I was tranfered to this asshole of the world (new orleans) after 10 years in kobe. I believe beech soldiered on for about a further 10 years in kobe and retired from there. He had been in the SA rotterdam office for sometime before gracing us with his presence in japan.

Strange, he never once mentioned BI or fleet air arm! the only thing he said was that he had worked for greeks before.

I know his mother lived in eastbourne because he would visit her there when he had vacation - he never mentioned dad. his only son leslie will be in his mid-40's now.  it is more than likely that when beech retired he settled down in/near eastbourne. I estimate he is about 83 now.

 I detested the bastard.............

colin t