[BITList] Frozen food

Bill and Diana billanddiana at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 23 13:12:27 BST 2008

HUGH MCINTYRE wrote:
> Bill,
>
> There's imports and imports, and exports and exports - I think we should
> draw the line at importing raw and cooked frozen chicken, meat and fish
> from 1000s of miles away via god alone knows what chain of mishaps and
> faulty freezers.

As the chief on the 4 - 8 watch looking after the antique CO2 compressor
carrying the precious lamb carcasses from OZ to the Gulf - I can proudly
say; 'we did our best back in the 50's and 60's'.  Carrying freezer
cargoes these days has become a bit more scientific, and political, to
say nothing of Mad Cow and Foot and Mouth disease plus Rabies.

It surprised me a short while ago when visiting UK to discover that
frozen prime cuts of meat are being sold in the market place.  You can't
buy frozen prime cuts of meat in Australia, anywhere.  Prime cuts of
meat are only available 'unfrozen' i.e. never been inside a freezer.

Fish is a different kettle of.... The supermarkets down here boldly
proclaim - "Thawed for your convenience"  when offering prawns from
Thailand or fillets from South Africa.

Salaams

Bill Ross - Down Under