[BITList] Frozen food

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 23 18:48:18 BST 2008

Bill,

My reference to meat was hasty, and I apologise to all the lambs in Oz and
NZ, and to the cattle who have provided corned beef from S America for
generations.  Little chance of getting a fatal dose of salmonella there,
though a good many years ago (I seem to recall) that could not have been
said for corned beef from Argentina.

In my experience, frozen meat is only available here in supermarkets and,
regardless of its origin, it's sold frozen by them and pre-packed. Our local
butchers buy carcasses on the hoof, and the only low temps the meat
experiences is in the cold store at the back of the shop or when being
transported from market to shop.  They sell their products by whatever
weight you want and wrap it on the counter. We've two butchers in the town,
one of them award winning.  And we've a fishmonger and an old fashioned
grocer.  We bought frozen fish, etc, in Iceland because of their much
vaunted ethical policy.  Clearly all that has changed, and our shopping
habits in consequence.

Round about now some lurker on BIShip would be typing an anguished complaint
about this topic.  Freedom is a great thing.