[BITList] no more fermat - plus nails

realm33 at msn.com realm33 at msn.com
Sun Oct 12 21:01:58 BST 2008

yo hugh

andrew wiles and co - talk about esoteric! I do not understand the interest and headlines in the daily newspapers at the time when fermat was proved. there cannot have been more than 500 people out of the 27 trillion people living in the world who had the foggiest idea what it was all about - or even cared in the slightest. but to have the brain power (and finacial backing to indulge) to prove fermat - bloody awesome!

how elegantly and succinctly put (it would have sounded so much better in latin), "The classical guitar is mainly a struggle with the shape of nails". I had renato belluci make me a classical guitar to my specs - gorgeous instrument, wonderful sound and getting better.

throughout the years my nails have been no problem, strong, pink, regular - actually I always thought they were quite pretty!

when I started trying to play the classical guitar - everything imaginable happens to the nails of my right hand (and to non-classical guitar players, we are talking about only three nails, index, next and ring; you can dispose of your little finger how ever you like - ain't needed here.)  at least one of the 3 nails was split at any one time. tore half my thumb nail off removing clothes from the washing machine, something that never ever happened to me bfore I got a guitar. I'm having a rest from my instrument at the moment.

you can visit renato's web site at http://www.mangore.com/<http://www.mangore.com/>. - it's very interesting.

you can also see him playing the instrument he made for me at the site. he even has info on NAILS.

attached is a signed photo of renato playing my concert masterpiece!

rgds

colin t