[BITList] RR Engine for A-380

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 24 14:49:25 GMT 2008

John,

Fitting these things in RN vessels is why Britannia no longer rules the
waves and we can hardly afford to build warships.  I had a close
approximation during my penance as 2E/O on GTV Morar, where we had a
partially marinised turbine from god knows what stable (some of the comments
given against the Trent ring a bell with me), and free gas and pissifiers
that looked like scaled down versions of the Trent - a different thread on
every nut and few user friendly bits.  Despite the latter, we had to
persuade the bits to at least be civil to us users. I remember with
nostalgia fitting extensions to extensions to extensions with a socket on
the end, poking the 6 foot long floppy assembly through a gap and finding
the socket the wrong one for the distant nut.  In a really bad day the
outward half of the assembly would disconnect and fall down.

Oil leaks on motor bikes are god's way of keeping them clean, much as with
diesel leaks on Doxfords.  I've got a copy of Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle
Maintenance, by Robert M. Pirsig (1974), and  Pirsig is philosphical about
worse than oil leaks.  On my first bike, an Enfield Model G (respectful
pause), I stripped a couple of the bottom set screws holding the cover on
the timing gearbox and managed to effect a repair using a mixture of prayer
and Hermatite jointing compound.  The engine sometimes lost a bit of oil
over a period, but I put it in as fast as it came out, so all was well.  One
day in Gourock I heard a clanking sound and deduced I'd run a bottom end.  I
clanked to the nearest garage and put in a load of oil, then clanked home.
It was, indeed, the bottom end.  I repaired it - no problem on the Enfield,
though my mother would have preferred it to be done outside and not in my
bedroom.  Only the engine was in the bedroom. My brothers were in the Army,
so at that point it was my bedroom.  Not long after that I joined BI, and
the bike had barely been run since the repair.  Somewhere out east I got a
letter from my pals to say they had borrowed the bike and were setting off
on a tour of the Highlands.  The next letter described their ordeal after
the bottom end ran again somewhere on a remote road.  You can't get that fun
out of a Yamaha.