[BITList] RR Engine for A-380

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 00:39:01 GMT 2008

G'day Hugh,

On 25/11/2008, at 12:49 AM, HUGH wrote:

 > Fitting these things in RN vessels is why Britannia no longer
 > rules the waves and we can hardly afford to build warships.

I agree but, that is but one of many reasons.

Had you been at the Fremantle Reunion you would have seen some large
catamaran type vessels that had up to four monster diesels. They were
being built for arab countries. You'd have thought that they might
have been fitting Trent 800 series engines. Two photos attached. One
showing two of the four water propulsion outlets.

 > I remember with nostalgia fitting extensions to extensions to
 > extensions with a socket on the end,

Doxfords had no monopoly on situations like that.

I recall while employed in the RAF as an Instrument Tech, having to
change the thermocouple on a piston engine (Bristol Hercules - radial
sleeve valve). The t/c was fitted on the top cylinder. It was held on
a stud with a nut of about a 4 BA thread. There were two washers under
the nut. First remove one of the two spark plugs. Thus leaving an
extremely convenient hole for a dropped washer or nut to fall down
into the cylinder. Even worse was for the socket or nut, to fall off
the extension as you inserted the assembly down the hole. The only way
to keep the nut in the socket on the extension was to take a piece of
paper place it flat over the head of the socket and then force the nut
inside the socket. It was one job that I hated having to do.
Fortunately it was not a common occurrence.

 > You can't get that fun  out of a Yamaha.

I used Hondas. M/Cs are dangerous machines. Indeed, I have the scars
to prove it.

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.