[BITList] RR Engine for A-380

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:19:16 GMT 2008

G'day Hugh,

On 24/11/2008, at 11:06 PM, HUGH wrote:

 > I see no reason whatever why a thing of such complexity should be
allowed
 > on a ship.

I would imagine that they might be fitted to a Naval Vessel.

 > I draw a parallel with motor bikes - the Royal Enfield Model G is
still
 > made in India,

 > My son-in-law favours enormous flashy Japanese machines with a
 > ton of chrome aboard and no user serviceable parts.  They do
exactly the
 > same job as the Enfield.

I expect that they do except for the oil leaks?

 >>  As for direct drive - there is no mention anywhere
of RPM, and the thrust developed is irrelevant to anyone considering
this
machine for a marine direct drive propulsion engine.  I'd need to see
full details of the marinised version before giving a final verdict. >>.

I was but the messenger - I expected that those who had sufficient
interest might be conned into going to search for more information?

<< While with BI I heard about the soft drink dispensers installed on
one BI
passenger vessel.  The suitability for marine use was never considered
until
the machines started to give free drinks when the ship went astern. >>

Is this your first attempt at a Snoops article?

:-)

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.