[BITList] Scotland's Forest

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 17 10:07:43 GMT 2008

Interesting Hugh,

A canvas mill, that's a new one on me, I assume a mill in the true sense of the word, waterwheel and so on.

As to trees, why not then and why now? That's nature. In Tasmania the fumes from the Queenstown lead, zinc and silver mine and the processing plant were responsible for stripping the surrounding mountains (hills elsewhere, mountains by Australian standards), of all foliage, down to the bare rock. So much so the devastation in itself became a tourist attraction. In later years, since the mine was closed, pockets of vegetation have started to appear, now doubt in crevices where debris has accumulated and broken down. It is possible, given time, that the mountains could once again be re-vegetated. Unbelievably, local tourist operators complained about the regrowth of trees.

Dave