[BITList] Computer simulations

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 17 21:41:06 GMT 2008

Mike,

Computer simulations are a useful, perhaps essential, tool in the correct area, eg, navigation in restricted waters, that much is obvious.  I don't know if they would help in machinery spaces. On one BI vessel, can't remember which one, one or two of us used to employ a version of simulation.  Sat in the ER, one might be approached by some smart ass and asked how to do A using B but not C - it was always some arcane procedure he had worked out.  The smart ass had worked it out at his leisure, and your task was to work it out a damned sight faster than he had done it. "Shut that valve, and open that one, then remove this or that," would be met with a knowing smile and a smug, "can't be done, pump's stripped down."  The rules were supposed to be that the plan could not be changed to irritate the victim, but that sometimes did not apply.  In like manner, the sadist who took me for 2nd's Orals placed obstacles in the way of every plan.  Correct answers offended him, and he worked on the principle that there was always a question the victim couldn't answer.