[BITList] Scotland's Forest

Bill and Diana billanddiana at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 17 12:47:45 GMT 2008

Hi Dave and others,

We too visited Queenstown a few years ago.  The visitors information
centre was open so we popped in for a cuppa and a chat.

The dowdy dames behind the counter served lamingtons made by the local
CWA and tepid 'earl grey' whilst foisting upon us maps and suggestions
of places to visit.

What struck us was the sense of pride they had in their town.  They
quoted 'Tidy Town' awards, destination of year etc.  All of this was in
stark contrast to what our perceptions had been, which was utter
desolation due to mining.

It's true, the lunar like landscape is a bit confronting compared to the
pristine natural areas away from Queenstown.  The ladies explained to us
that the desolate hillsides were as a result of mining practices that
ceased over 100 years ago.

Mine tours are now conducted to highlight the efforts of the locals to
restore the area to what nature had intended - all good stuff.

I didn't see any Tasmanian Tigers running around, but neither are the
Glaswegians expecting to see any wild haggis cruising up Sauchiehall
Street yet - time will tell.

Salaams

The scars of