[BITList] Flying over Russia on our return from the Netherlands.

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun May 27 08:27:55 BST 2018

G'day Folks,

Our trip to the Netherlands and return, by Cathay Pacific.

On both flights, the Cathay Pacific aircraft flew the Great Circle route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance>

For instance, the flight to the Netherlands flew further to the north than the return journey. As you can see in this image coming into Amsterdam from the North East.

We approached the Netherlands from the north of the country, flying in over Lithuania and Denmark - Copenhagen.

Flying back, I was surprised to see

Delhi, Varanasi, Darjeeling and Calcutta - over the horizon of course.

Here is the flight path from Amsterdam to Hong Kong/