[BITList] The recent weather in the top end of Queensland

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Mar 9 02:11:01 GMT 2018

G'day folks,

On Wednesday our eldest daughter and I took a drive to the Macrossan Bridge that goes over the River Burdekin. It is on the road to the south west of Townsville that goes to Charters Towers and Mt. Isa and eventually to the road that meets the road going from Adelaide to Darwin.

The river is the main contributor to the Burdekin Dam which also supplies Townsville when we have need of it.

Recently our local supply was down to 15% of water left - it is now completely full.

Most people outside of Australia, and some inside, wouldn’t have any idea of what a river like the Burdekin can look like in flood.

When we came to Townsville the bridge had recently been competed. It was said that the bridge had been designed to cater for ‘a one hundred year flood”. Within days of its opening it was under water!

Take note of the flood marker pole on the right of this photo. The highest marker is where the water got to in the 1946 flood.

This photo was taken on the west side of the Macrossan Bridge looking back towards Townsville.

In 1946, had those trees been around, they would just about be under the water.

The level of water in the 1946 flood. 21.79 metres or 71.5 feet or 23.8 yards.

Driving back towards Townsville, over the bridge. Considering how much rain there has been there wasn’t much water in the river.

Looking west and the flow is pretty rapid as can be seen as it moves from right to left under the bridge.

Now have look at this article about the flood in 2012. There is a photo of the bridge taken “minutes” before the water ran over the top of the Bridge and the road was closed.. The water level eventually reached 20.75 metres. The second highest flood in recorded history.

"Charters Towers cut off by rain"

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/03/21/3460538.htm <http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/03/21/3460538.htm>

The old crossing and Railway Bridge.

http://queenslandplaces.com.au/exhibit/photograph/flp130 <http://queenslandplaces.com.au/exhibit/photograph/flp130>