[BITList] Apprentice Draughtsmen

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 5 21:51:10 GMT 2018

Mike,

Doodling online this evening I typed draughtsman, that having been my job description for much of my working life.  I found myself in an alien universe full of articles about apprentice draughtsmen.  When I first worked for Scotts in Greenock after leaving the MN I was surprised to note that they had apprentice draughtsmen in the drawing office.  With John G Kincaid, my previous employer, there was never any such thing. One served  a five-year apprenticeship as a fitter, turner, boilermaker, pattern maker, or whatever, then sat the drawing office entrance exam near the end of the fifth year.  Successful entrants entered the DO, and when the fifth year was up, they became junior draughtsmen officially. As the Apprentice Supervisor said to us, any nonsense before the fifth year us up, and and you'll be back in the shops. The same gent collared me in the DO when  my exemption from National Service was approaching its end - I was coming up for 23. He arranged that I have a chat with an old gent, a retired BI C/EO, in Skelmorlie down the coast a bit, and as a result I was put on a travelling belt that ended up on Chakdara in October, 1956.