[BITList] The Northern Lights or The Aurora Borealis

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Jun 26 07:00:50 BST 2017

G'day Folks,

On 25 Jun 2017, at 4:07 pm, John Feltham <wantok at me.com> wrote:

G'day Folks,

I have had a nice journey this morning. I landed on a piece of choral music which took me on the journey. The music was by Ēriks Ešenvalds.

But I’ll deal with that in another msg, meanwhile...

You can take the journey too, if you want to.

Just follow the links.

Snip 8>………………

So did you take the journey?

The piece of music that caught my ear yesterday was by the same composer Ēriks Ešenvalds

But the lyrics were by an American Poet.

Sara Teasdale - 1884 - 1933.

The poem was her “Only in Sleep, is time forgotten".

Here are several versions of the same composition. All to be found on Youtube. Just click on the Links.

I have included the lyrics for you. They should make you all think.

Enjoy.

“Only in sleep, is time forgotten.”

Ēriks Ešenvalds

Lyrics:

Only in Sleep – A Poem by Sara Teasdale

Only in sleep I see their faces,
Children I played with when I was a child,
Louise comes back with her brown hair braided,
Annie with ringlets warm and wild.

Only in sleep Time is forgotten.
What may have come to them, who can know?
Yet we played last night as long ago,
And the doll-house stood at the turn of the stair.

The years had not sharpened their smooth round faces,
I met their eyes and found them mild.
Do they, too, dream of me, I wonder,
And for them am I too a child?

1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjIHTLjlPQI <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjIHTLjlPQI>

Ēriks Ešenvalds - Only in Sleep

Published on 7 Apr 2017
Cal State Fullerton School of Music
Concert Choir, Christopher Peterson, conductor
Meng Concert Hall March 25, 2017
Jessica Dalley, soprano

2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPynMI6Umc <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPynMI6Umc>

Ēriks Ešenvalds - Only in Sleep

Published on 2 Feb 2015
To celebrate the release of 'Northern Lights', our recording of the music of Ēriks Ešenvalds on Hyperion, here is a video of one of the works from the CD, recorded in Trinity College Chapel.

- To download 'Northern Lights' on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ese...

3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kcktAfX-k <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kcktAfX-k>

Ēriks Ešenvalds - Only in Sleep

Published on 15 May 2017
Resonance performs Only in Sleep by Ēriks Ešenvalds. Most of the choir is not visible because they are surrounding the audience. If you watch Hallelujah, which follows this selection, you'll see the rest of the choir as they come up to the front of the hall.

Resonance is a youth choir for singers 15 to 28, based in Mississauga, Ontario. http://resonance.mfchoir.com

4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4DClWip1FE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4DClWip1FE>

Published on 10 Jan 2017
"Only in Sleep," Eriks Esenvalds, performed by Nova Singers, October 9, 2016, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, IA. Dr. Laura L. Lane, artistic director.

5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsZOwabWMGo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsZOwabWMGo>

Published on 7 Apr 2017
The Singers, Matthew Culloton, conductor perform Ēriks Ešenvalds' setting of Sara Teasdale's " Only in Sleep".
Audio by Recording Engineer, David Trembley, Soundmaster Productions.

6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcV6poTWdZQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcV6poTWdZQ>

Published on 21 Jun 2016
The performance is from The 2016 International Choir Festival of Szczecin, Poland. In June 2016 we in Sofia Vokalensemble were taking part of the festival and got the chance to tour in Germany and Poland.

In this video we are performing "Only in Sleep" by Ēriks Ešenvalds together with one of the world's most awarded choirs, The Philippine Madrigal Singers.

Soloist:
Susan Radif