[BITList] EATING IN THE FIFTIES (British Perspective)

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 10 15:08:02 BST 2017

        EATING IN THE FIFTIES

        * Pasta had not been invented.

        * Curry was an unknown entity.

        * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet

        * Spices came from the Middle East where we believed that they
        were used for embalming

        * Herbs were used to make rather dodgy medicine.

        * A Takeaway was a mathematical problem.

        * A Pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

        * Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

        * The only vegetables known to us were spuds, peas, carrots and
        cabbage,

        anything else was regarded as being a bit suspicious.

        * All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to
        put the salt on or not.

        * Condiments consisted of salt, pepper, vinegar and brown sauce
        if we were lucky.

        * Soft drinks were called pop.

        * Coke was something that we mixed with coal to make it last longer.

        * A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.

        * Rice was a milk pudding, and never ever part of our dinner.

        * A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

        * A Pizza Hut was an Italian shed.

        * Spaghetti was a small town in Bolognese.

        * A microwave was something out of a science fiction movie.

        * Brown bread was something only posh people ate.

        * Oil was for lubricating your bike not for cooking, fat was for
        cooking

        * Bread and jam was a punishment.

        * Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves, not bags.

        * The tea cosy was the forerunner of all the energy saving
        devices that we hear so much about today.

        * Tea had only one colour, black. Green tea etc. was not British.

        * Coffee was only drunk when we had no tea.

        * Cubed sugar was regarded as a bit of an over kill.

        * Figs and dates appeared every Christmas, but no one ever ate them.

        * Sweets and confectionery were called toffees.

        * Coconuts only appeared when the fair came to town.

        * Black puddings were mined in Bolton Lancashire.

        * Jellied eels were peculiar to Londoners.

        * Salad cream was a dressing for salads, mayonnaise did not exist

        * Hors d'oeuvre was a spelling mistake.

        * The starter was our main meal.

        * Soup was a main meal.

        * The menu consisted of what we were given and was set in stone

        * Only Heinz made beans, any others were impostors

        * Leftovers went in the dog.

        * Special food for dogs and cats was unheard of.

        * Sauce was either brown or red.

        * Fish was only eaten on Fridays.

        * Fish didn't have fingers in those days.

        * Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.

        * Ready meals only came from the fish and chip shop.

        * For the best taste fish and chips had to be eaten out of old
        newspapers.

        * Frozen food was called ice cream.

        * Nothing ever went off in the fridge because we never had one.

        * Ice cream only came in one colour and one flavour.

        * None of us had ever heard of yogurt.

        * Jelly and blancmange was only eaten at parties.

        * If we said that we were on a diet, we simply got less (more
        for us).

        * Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

        * Healthy food had to have the ability to stick to your ribs.

        * Calories were mentioned but they had nothing at all to do with
        food.

        * The only criteria concerning the food that we ate were, did we
        like it and could we afford it.

        * People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy so and so’s.

        * Indian restaurants were only found in India .

        * A seven course meal had to last a week.

        * Brunch was not a meal.

        * Cheese only came in a hard lump.

        * If we had eaten bacon lettuce and tomato on the same sandwich
        we would have been

        certified

        * A bun was a small cake back then.

        * A tart was a fruit filled pastry, not a lady of horizontal
        pleasure.

        * The word" Barbie" was not associated with anything to do with food

        * Eating outside was called a picnic.

        * Cooking outside was called camping.

        * Seaweed was not a recognised source of food.

        * Offal was only eaten when we could afford it.

        * Eggs only came fried or boiled.

        * Hot cross buns were only eaten at Easter time.

        * Pancakes were only eaten on Pancake Tuesday, in fact in those
        days it was compulsory.

        * "Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.

        * Hot dogs were a type of sausage that only the Americans ate.

        * Cornflakes had arrived from America but it was obvious that
        they would never catch on.

        * The phrase "boil in the bag" would have been beyond our realms
        of comprehension.

        * The idea of "oven chips" would not have made any sense at all
        to us.

        * The world had not yet benefited from weird and wonderful things

        like Pot Noodles, Instant Mash and Pop Tarts.

        * We bought milk and cream at the same time in the same bottle.

        * Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as
        being white gold.

        * Lettuce and tomatoes in winter were just a rumour.

        * Most soft fruits were seasonal except perhaps at Christmas.

        * Prunes were medicinal.

        * Surprisingly muesli was readily available in those days, it
        was called cattle feed.

        * Turkeys were definitely seasonal.

        * Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a
        picture of a real one.

        * We didn't eat Croissants in those days because we couldn't
        pronounce them,

        we couldn't spell them and we didn't know what they were.

        * We thought that Baguettes were a serious problem the French
        needed to deal with.

        * Garlic was used to ward off vampires, but never used to
        flavour bread.

        * Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling
        it and charging treble for it

        they would have become a laughing stock.

        * Food hygiene was all about washing your hands before meals.

        * Campylobacter, Salmonella, E.coli, Listeria, and botulism were
        all called "Food poisoning."

        * The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the
        fifties, "Elbows"