[BITList] Marine Sanctuary Cutbacks by Australian Governments

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Aug 1 08:03:00 BST 2017

G'day Peter,

The Turnbull Government has released draft plans to butcher our national network of marine sanctuaries - blatantly ignoring their own scientists.  The ones that they still have as a to of them have been sacked.

Devastating cutbacks are proposed in our oceans around Australia, paving the way for destructive commercial fishing and oil and gas giants. [Big money talking].

In the last year our oceans have been devastated by coral bleaching, unprecedented mangrove dieback and disappearing kelp forests.

Our ocean ecosystems and vulnerable marine animals are under enormous stress - they need marine sanctuaries now more than ever.
Act today to stop this reckless proposal

If these plans go ahead, we will be the first country in the world to go backwards on marine sanctuaries. Is this the record we want for Australia? Is this the future we want for our kids?

These plans will carve up sanctuary protection for some of our most vulnerable marine ecosystems at Lord Howe, Geographe Bay, Perth Canyon, the Great Australian Bight, the Gulf of Carpentaria, the Kimberley, and our Coral Sea – the cradle to the Great Barrier Reef.

What will Malcolm Trumble's National and LNP Government not do to, incur the wrath of the Australian people and the world?

They have recently, narrow missed, having the Great Barrier Reef being placed on the Endangered List

Shame.