[BITList] FW Cooling System

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 10 19:57:56 BST 2017

Mike,

I can't find the piping diagrams I made when a Fiver on Chakdara, nor can I find the piping diagrams I brought home from Odense in1967 - and I can't comment on SW cooled LO Coolers from memory alone. But there was SW cooling on diesel powered vessels, and it worked OK. The SW did its job in the cooler then sodded off overboard - one exception being on Chilka, 1958, leaving Marseille, when the plug of the Main Sea Inlet valve dropped off its spindle causing a sudden shortage of SW. SW leakage into the LO would be caused by a faulty design of cooler, as would leakage of FW.