[BITList] political maxims

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 11 13:15:00 BST 2016

might be old but a lot of truisms here
frank

/In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a
shame, two is a law firm/
/and three or more is a government. //
/*John Adams*
/If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the
newspaper you are misinformed. //
/*Mark Twain*
/Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of
government. But then I repeat myself. //
/*Mark Twain*
**
/I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is
like a man standing in a bucket and trying/
/to lift himself up by the handle. //
/*Winston Churchill*
/A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul.//
/*George Bernard Shaw*
/Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in
rich countries/
/to rich people in poor countries.//
/*Douglas Casey,  Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University*
**
/Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car
keys to teenage boys.//
/*P.J. O'Rourke,  Civil Libertarian*
**
/Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavours to
live at the/
/expense of everybody else.//
/*Frederic Bastiat,  French economist(1801-1850)*
/I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. //
/*Will Rogers*
/If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when it's free!//
/*P.J. O'Rourke*
/In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as
possible from one/
/party of the citizens to give to the other. //
/*Voltaire (1764)*
/Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean
politics won't take an/
/interest in you!//
/*Pericles (430  B.C.)*
/No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in
session.//
/*Mark Twain   (1866)*
/Talk is cheap...except when government does it.//
/*Anonymous*
/The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite
at one end/
/and no responsibility at the other.//
/*Ronald Reagan*
**
/The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the
taxidermist leaves the skin.//
/*Mark Twain*
**
/There is no distinctly Native American criminal class….except
government. //
/*Mark Twain*
**
/What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.//
/*Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)*
**
/A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take/
/everything you have. //
/*Thomas Jefferson*
**
/We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.//
/*Aesop*

No virus found in this message.