[BITList] Type 45 Destroyers

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Thu Feb 11 16:57:06 GMT 2016

Hugh,

I’d heard mutterings about cutbacks in finance for the ships, hence not sufficient generator power.

Mind you in Denholms, I was on a Tanker, we were in Le Havre.  The Chief told me that we didn’t have sufficient power due to the cooling tubes for the Gennies being choked.  The Super came up shortly afterwards and said we were OK.  ( The Supers travelled with their Chief’s Ticket in case they fired the Chief !)

A few hours after sailing we lost power and were drifting for a few hours North of the Channel Islands.  We had 2 oil lights up, if a another ship got too close we put the Aldis on to show the size of the ship !  For some reason our Emergency Gennie did not work.

Mike